Friday, January 7, 2011

weekend readings

These are two books I picked up on my return trip at Barnes & Noble.


Water-Paper-Paint by Heather Smith Jones has a beautiful blend of unique and fresh techniques with watercolor. I never could get into watercolor and I always preferred acrylics. Reading through the chapters of mark making, dabbing with different materials, opaque washes on dark paper and water etching I can't wait to dig out my Pelican watercolors and start.
The second book , The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin  I started to read in a store here in Toronto. Reading the first chapter was like deja vu, already done- been there. It starts with....I make New Year's resolutions-and usually don't keep them for long. How many times had I resolved to exercise more, eat better, and keep up with my e-mail in-box. This year, though, I was making resolutions in the context of my happiness project...  It's filled with great insights for the search of satisfaction and happiness.

2 comments:

  1. just what you need...............another
    art form, too many ideas and not enough hours in the day, maybe that can be our goal for 2011
    DO MORE ART!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water Paper Paint is wonderful! I'm going to take a few watercolour classes at ArtUnraveled. I read the Happiness Project last summer -- I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete