Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Buzzing with Hexagons

Finally I am ready to show my work in progress...... a hexagon quilt hand made using the English Paper Piecing method. As I promised, no sewing machine necessary . You can do it in the car, while watching tv and it travels in a small container.  I took this class with Johanna at the workroom and she promised this will be addictive!
I chose to make a small pillow- no ambition to make 2000 pieces.( I have too many projects on the go)

I found this fabric on-line by Terrie Mangat ( Free Spirit). These hexagon images were perfect for the quilt. The matching fabric has a wing pattern which I might use for my back.



The freezer paper shapes are ironed on various fabric leftovers and the seam stitched in place.


Slowly the front is taking shape. My coffee mug is sitting to the right and honestly you can't put the needle down  ....one more to add.


Bees in Grandma's garden quilt. 

4 comments:

  1. what a great design
    wonderful fabric too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Terri Mangat's Bees fabric! I need to know what size paper hexagons you used for the bees before I purchase them, I've seen two and a half inch templates on ebay, would that be the right size? Love your colour choice in Grandma's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous,
    I used a 2 3/8 hexagon template. Print out the hexagon sheet from incompetech.com ( grid generators) and glue a plastic sheet on the size you need and cut out several pieces from freezer paper. Iron on these sheets on the bee fabric and make your pattern. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete