First I printed out the flag, pulled the coordinating fabrics out ( the official colour are Pantone 280 and 186). I couldn't help it to get my swatch book out , a sentimental leftover from our printing business. I traced the lines on fabric and used the foundation piece method to do all for corners and sewed the white and red stripes in a log cabin style together.
The flag is dipped in English tea for colouring.
Then I cut small pieces of steel wool and let it soak with vinegar in a zip-lock bag. Best is, to let it sit in the sun for few hours . The oxidation will create small rust particles. A coarser grade creates bigger spots.
This my finished vintage looking flag. I rushed the rusting process a little bit, but I happy with the end result.